Monday, February 27, 2012

Now here's something worthy of catharsis

I haven't posted in a while because there hasn't been much to post. As I mentioned before, we are in Florida and things are moving along ssllllloooooooowwwwlllllllyyyyy. Ben's down at the marina EVERY day, (I try to get him to do 1/2 days on Sundays) working on the boat. And I am trying to keep myself busy with crafts and "stuff". We are staying with my dad and step-mom, who have been wonderful to let us invade their home and take over their guest bedroom with our luggage, crafts, wedding gifts, boxes, etc. I have been trying to help keep things tidy and cook some dinner (twist my arm, right??) So, not too much excitement over here for me... We were supposed to see our friend's band play at the Marina  Oyster Bar, LJ Schooners on Saturday night, but after our wonderful homemade authentic Mexican dinner and 1800 Margaritas, poor Ben and my step-mom were snoozing on the couch at 8:30pm. So, needless to say, another night "in". No worries, we don't need to be spending our travel/boat/living expenses on cheap draft beer anyway ;)

Back to my point,  post title..."something worthy of catharsis"...Today, I took my dog of 10 years, little Besita, to the local vet for routine vaccinations and a check up. I had noticed a lumpy bump that had gotten bigger on her belly/groin area and showed them. Turns out it is a mammary tumor that needed to be removed (as well as spay her or severe consequences later). I scheduled the procedures for today, since our vet was out of town last week. It had been in the back of my mind all week, but the removal and her spay were "routine" and necessary, so how much good would my worry do?

Here are some cute pics I found...
Burrowing for comfort

Sightseeing in Savannah

posing for ben on the couch

basking in the sun

my family!

big tongue gets bigger in the beach heat!

my island beauty


So the time finally came and I'm nervous, but as I do...maintain composure and be strong for her.  Ben came with me as I took her in to get her surgery. I stayed with her as they shaved her hair on her front leg and put the catheter in. That was traumatic enough for me...and NO, I didn't want to be in there when they put her under anesthesia. I couldn't bare to watch her eyes close. I was upset, worried, and sad. It was a rough few hours waiting and waiting. The vet called and said the surgery went fine and she was recovering well. He also removed a hernia that was there (that my previous vet misdiagnosed  as mammary tissue due to not being spayed !!!!^&##!@##%&^#@!!!$#%^&&$@ ). We were shocked, kind of. I always questioned her care at that vet, but you think that the Veterinary Center of Buckhead would know what's going on.... gggrrrrrrrr...Anyway... Worrying and thinking about her has really brought back up how much love I have for this little 6lb dog. We have been through so much together and she has been with me for 10 years. I got her when she was as big as my hand. A little black and tan fur ball! Super cute!!!!!!!! and still is... I have always been an animal lover, but this dog has my heart.  She is the most loving animal I've ever known. So I sit in worry and sadness waiting to hear how she is doing. I got a second call at 4pm saying her temp dropped so they are going to monitor and warm her for a while to see how she does. I am to call back at 5, when they close to hear about what is next- go home or ????

I.AM.FREAKING.OUT.A.BIT.

2 comments:

  1. UPDATE: Besita is doing great. We had a rough first night, didn't sleep much...but things have gotten better. Now the biggest challenge will be keeping her from being herself- playing, jumping, running, barking as she heals...She has 4 staples :(, lots of bruising and soon to be scars but looks/acts great! We'll have to get her staples out in Marsh Harbour but luckily we've got a great referral for a Vet there!
    Thanks to you all who have been praying and/or thinking of us! xo

    ReplyDelete